LNP Shadow Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Dale Last is urgently pushing for a full independent inquiry into the devastating fires on Fraser Island.
Mr Last said there are serious answers the Labor Government needs to answer.
“The Premier’s announcement today that the Inspector General will conduct a review into the fires falls well short of the mark,” Mr Last said.
“There must be a transparent process outside the influence of government.
“This has been very poorly managed from the start and multiple government departments must be held to account.
“Business operators, residents and tourists are rightfully angry with the government’s slow response and they deserve answers not excuses.
“Tourism has copped a hammering in 2020 and these devastating fires have caused more financial pain just weeks out from the busy Christmas holiday period.
“Fraser Island is a Queensland icon that has been badly let down by a Labor government who’ve failed to plan for fire scenarios like the one currently unfolding.
“I want to thank the fire crews who are working tirelessly to salvage as much of Fraser Island as they can.”
Parameters of Full Independent Inquiry:
- Delay by NPWS in engaging QFES. (Fire started on 14 Oct and QFES were not called in until 27 Nov)
- Currency and appropriateness of Fire Management plan for Fraser Island including controlled burns
- Construction and maintenance of firebreaks and fire trails
- Reporting structures and activation process between Dept of Environment (NPWS) and QFES
- Use of Large aerial water tanker
- Communication and operation of Op’s centre